16 ACPE Credits
16.0 Contact Hours
Course Fees:$995 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Pharmacists, & Dentists
$750 for Physician Assistants
$750 for Nurse Practitioners
$595 for Nurses, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
In this conference we will highlight some updates in acute care medicine and we will delve into how to better manage difficult conversations around loaded topics like substance use, intimate partner violence, and inter-professional team dynamics. In addition, we will introduce you to the cutting edge new field of Sex and Gender Based Medicine in which we will discuss how our biological sex and gender affects our physiology, pathophysiology and our response to different drugs and therapies. Studying men and women side by side allows us to optimize the care of both sexes. We will also provide pearls on maintaining provider well-being. We hope you are able to join us for this definitely unique CME opportunity!
- The Opioid Epidemic: How we got here, how we move forward. Best practice tools for caring for patients with Substance Use Disorder.
- Describe the Magnitude of the Opioid Epidemic.
- Explain Screening and Staging Techniques Summarize Brief (SBIRT) Effective Counseling
- Their Blood Pressure was What? Who needs what, when and where?
- Recognize the parameters of blood pressure that need acute care treatment.
- Describe best practice treatment options for management of abnormal blood pressure.
- Updates in DVT & PE--ICU or Home
- Describe the use of validated criteria to measure risk of early mortality in venous thromboembolism.
- Classify parameters that make a patient with thromboembolism low or high risk.
- Differentiate and manage the life threatening PEs vs appropriate discharge strategies.
- We've Got Your Back-a common sense approach to back pain.
- List examples of the many medical causes of back pain.
- Identify 'red flags' for those etiologies of back pain that need urgent versus emergent evaluation.
- Describe acute treatment options for common causes of back pain.
- Beyond "clumsy" Recognizing and assisting victims of intimate partner violence
- Describe the magnitude of intimate partner violence
- Explain how to perform consistent and effective screening for domestic violence (DV) in acute care settings.
- Recognize history and physical exam findings that are consistent with patterns of abuse in clinical scenarios.
- List opportunities and successful methods for intervention and prevention.
- Sex and Gender Medicine- What it is and why you should care
- Differentiate between the terms biological sex and gender and describe how both can impact acute patient care
- Teamwork at the Bedside-How it Impacts Patient Safety
- Identify and describe hazards and imperfect processes at the point of care
- Define communications vulnerabilities that affect safety in healthcare.
- Illustrate tools that can enhance team functioning
- Survivor: How to last in a demanding profession
- Discuss risks of our profession to well-being.
- Review recommendations to improve personal health.
- Describe tools/ resources to help combat these risks.