14 ACPE Credits
14.0 Contact Hours
Course Fees:$895 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Pharmacists, & Dentists
$695 for Physician Assistants
$695 for Nurse Practitioners
$495 for Nurses, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
With the power and influence that we physicians have in our respective spheres comes the great responsibility to meet the challenges at hand. It goes without saying that we accept the challenge of maintaining our clinical knowledge, skill, and ability. But to tackle the aggregate of these formidable challenges, we each have to learn to operate within the context of high-functioning teams and we require effective leadership skills to harness and steer these forces of change in the right directions.
This lecture series will summarize some of the key forces that are driving the changes that we are all experiencing. We'll discover ways to improve our own practices so as to achieve better outcomes. We'll also discern and analyze the underpinnings high-functioning teams and effective physician leadership.
Along more traditional, clinical learning pathways, we will discover that there is a wealth of evidence that reveals the burden of diagnostic error. We'll ascertain and learn to apply techniques suggested by experts in the field that can help us to improve our diagnostic acumen. There is good evidence that we are missing opportunities to identify the deteriorating condition of hospitalized patients in a timely manner. We'll examine and integrate ways to better frame and manage such patients so as to achieve better outcomes. We will explore a common Internal Medicine and Critical Care diagnosis, venous thromboembolism, and we shall clarify which of these patients can be safely managed on the general ward and which are better suited to Critical Care admission and advanced management. And we will learn to apply cutting-edge interventions to manage post cardiac arrest patients so as to improve their neurological and overall outcomes. Finally, we'll assess the current state of Physician Assisted Death in Ontario, Canada, a service offering desired by a surprising number of patients that may actually improve outcomes and system performance as well as patient and family satisfaction while challenging the core ethics and beliefs of many physicians and other care-providers.
- Forces of Change: The Physician's Place in the Evolution of Modern Healthcare
- Identify salient forces that are driving rapid and uncomfortable health system evolution.
- Leverage new insights into a more rewarding practice, renewing connections with core motivators, and contributing to system improvement.
- Physician Leadership: The Mirror and the Lamp. What is Takes to be an Effective Leader in Todays Health Services Environment
- Recognize and apply suitable leadership insights and skills.
- Venous thromboembolic disease and Massive PE
- Apply the current evidence base to diagnosing VTED and discerning between and appropriately managing sub-massive and massive PE
- Diagnostic Error and Cognitive Bias
- Cite and discern, in oneself and in others, the cognitive biases and heuristics that lead to diagnostic errors.
- Mayday! Mayday! Identifying and Managing the Crashing Inpatient
- Review the data on the merits of Rapid Response Systems.
- Identify and cite diagnostic categories of deteriorating patients.
- Apply the available evidence to recognize and improve such patients' outcomes and avoid using common techniques that can actually make things worse!
- Post Cardiac Arrest Management: Update on Targeted Temperature Management
- Explain why the main focus in the post cardiac arrest scenario must be on optimizing brain function and advocate for and institute temperature control in this circumstance to achieve that goal.
- MAiD in Ontario: Medical Assistance in Dying, The Ontario Experience
- Cite the Canadian and Ontario legislative and clinical history leading up to the legalization of MAiD, relate our experience in advocating for and providing MAiD and evaluate the process whereby this service is provided.
We can assist you with all your travel arrangements. We'd be happy to help you plan your flights, hotels or tours before and/or after your cruise conference.