16 ACPE Credits
16 (part II) MOC points in medical knowledge in the American Board of Internal Medicine's (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program
16.0 Contact Hours
6 Hours of Pharmacology for NPs
Course Fees:$995 for Physicians, Attorneys, Psychologists, Pharmacists, & Dentists
$750 for Physician Assistants
$750 for Nurse Practitioners
$595 for Nurses, Students & Others
BIAS FREE CME - No Commercial Support was provided for this CME activity.
Internal Medicine & Primary CareThe purpose of this CME activity is to discuss common general medical conditions and to provide updated guidelines for their management and prevention. Topics have been chosen to benefit the family physician, general internist and Advance Practice Professionals in an ambulatory care setting.
- Identifying and Managing Low Health Literacy
- Understand which patient groups are at greatest risk for low health literacy
- Appreciate the role that low health literacy plays on health outcomes
- Review a simple intervention to identify the low health literacy patient
- Preoperative Assessment of Cardiac Risk in Non-Cardiac Surgery
- To appreciate causes of perioperative cardiac events
- To understand which patients require preoperative assessment
- Hypertension in African Americans
- To understand the prevalence of hypertension in African Americans
- To review social determinants of health which impact on effective treatment in this population
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Primer for Primary Care Clinicians
- Review the role of the primary care clinician in the co-management of rheumatoid arthritis
- Describe the role of disease-modifying drugs (DMARDs) on the clinical course of rheumatoid arthritis
- Physician Wellness and Resilience: Old Problem; New Urgency
- To define physician wellness and the impact of physician stress on physicians and their patients
- To describe new interventions to help physicians cope with wellness issues.
- Heart Disease in Women
- Appreciate sex-related differences in symptoms of ischemia between men and women
- Review non-traditional risk factors for CAD impacting women that deserve special attention
- Discuss strategies to raise awareness and close the gaps to optmize treatment of heart disase in men and women
- Resistant Hypertension - Review of Case Studies to Enhance Understanding
- Through the use of case studies review the epidemiology the clinical presentation and evidence-based approaches resistant hypertension (HTN)
- Use current guidelines and algorithms to develop treatment plans for patients with HTN with an emphasis on resistant HTN
Diabetes & Metabolic SyndromeObesity and Diabetes are two major ongoing epidemic globally. The purpose of these lectures is to engage participants and inspire them to treat obesity first which can help to reverse other metabolic diseases such as Diabetes, hypertension, lipid disorder. The course will reinforce the importance of hormonal adaptation, role of plant based diet and also address the unique complications of aggressive weight loss intervention. Emphasis will also be placed on understanding the latest technology that can help to minimize the blood sugar fluctuation. In this discussion we will also address the latest pharmacological clinical guidelines published by American Diabetes Association to treat Type 2 Diabetes.
- Dietary treatment strategies: From Paleo diet to plant powered plate and beyond
- Discuss the challenges and effects of various diets available for weight loss.
- Explain how dietary choices can affect the composition of the gut microbiome
- Elicit and explain health benefits seen with plant based diets
- Review weight neutral stategies for inspiring dietary change
- Stones, groans and brittle bones: Management of unintentional consequences of aggressive weight loss intervention.
- Elicit and discuss aggressive lifestyle intervention for weight loss
- Understand correlation with kidney stones and gall stones and bone health with weight loss.
- Discuss treatment options and prevention to prevent complication post aggressive weight loss management
- Treat the numbers not hemoglobin A1C: Diabetes potpourri of hyper and hypoglycemia
- Identify effect of blood sugar fluctuation: on common test hemoglobin A1C.
- Explain how this fluctuation can give false sense of effective blood sugar control.
- Discuss and analyze latest technology for appropriate glucose monitoring and to prevent risk of diabetes complications
- Diarrhea?It might be something more than you ate: Healing digestive distress with holistic approach
- Understand the common causes of diarrhea.
- Physiology of gut flora and associated digestive distress related to it.
- Discuss principles of nutritional integrity and holisting approach.
- Insulin vs GLP1 analog: What to choose first? : Management of Type 2 diabetes
- Discuss and highlight latest ADA guidelines about role of GLP1 agonist
- Understand the benefits of choosing GLP 1 over insulin for the management of Type2 Diabetes
- Treat Obesity first: Confronting biological adaptation for weight loss
- Describe the hormonal metabolic adaptations that occur with weight loss.
- Define the components of energy expenditure and thermogenesis: Discussing the importance of set point
- Discuss biological challenges of weight loss and weight regain
- Cultivating psycological balance: Mind, body connection and roadmap to build resilence
- Understand principles and importance of using various techniques to deal with stress.
- Embrace the power of positive thinking and use mindfulness to bring purpose in life.
- Learn importance of healthy eating, restorative sleep and physical activity.